Homemade Boerewors Pizza
In celebration of #nationalpizzaday we decided to put together our favourite boerewors pizza recipe together for you.
- 1 Pack of Ks Wors Boerewors
- 1 small jar tomato and herb pizza/pasta sauce, for base
- 250 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Basil leaves, for garnish (optional)
- 2 cups white bread flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- For the pizza dough, sieve the flour into a large bowl then stir in the yeast and salt. Make a well in the flour and pour in the warm water and olive oil and bring together with your hands. If the dough is too sticky add extra flour and if it’s too dry add extra water until the dough comes together in a ball.
- Knead the dough on a flour-dusted surface for a few minutes until you have a smooth, springy dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let it rise until doubled in size, about an hour or so.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/430°F.
- Heat a griddle pan to a medium-high heat, add a splash of olive oil and fry the boerewors until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. It doesn’t have to be cooked all the way through at this point as it will continue cooking in the oven. Set aside to cool. Alternatively the boerewors can be cooked on a braai.
- Divide the dough in 2 to 4 balls (depending on the size pizzas you want), sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and roll out thin pizza bases, about 0.5cm thick. Transfer the bases onto pre-heated, floured baking trays.
- Smear the herbed tomato sauce onto the pizza bases and sprinkle on most of the grated mozzarella cheese (keeping some for later).
- Cut the boerewors into 1cm medallions and arrange on the pizza bases with the red onion and green pepper slices.
- Cover with the remaining grated mozzarella cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the pizzas in the pre-heated oven for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bases are golden and crispy. Garnish the pizza with shredded basil leaves and serve whilst hot.