Boerewors Roll With Homemade Chakalaka
To celebrate heritage month and national hot dog day in the UK today (10th September 2021), this months blog post is one of our ultimate favourites.
Heritage month in South Africa is celebrated on the 24th of September and is a day we celebrate the diverse culture and heritage and one way most people celebrate it is by having a braai (BBQ).
We thought this months recipe would be the perfect heritage day meal.
Boerewors Roll with homemade Chakalaka
It’s the perfect meal to give you the taste of South African culture.
- 1 x K’s Wors Chakalaka Boerewors Sausage
- 1 x Pack of hot dog buns
- 300g Carrot, peeled and grated
- 500g Cauliflower grated
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, grated
- 100g Tomato paste/Can chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml Soy sauce
- 30 ml White wine vinegar
- 250 ml Red wine
- 30 ml Paprika
- 15g Curry powder
- 90 ml Olive oil blend
- 15ml Turmeric
- to taste Sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Fry K's Wors Chakalaka Sausage for 20 minutes or until done (on low heat) then set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the pan and heat over medium temperature
- Add the white onions to the pan and sauté until soft.
- Add the carrots (cauliflower if you wish) and garlic and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Combine the paprika, turmeric and curry powder with the red wine, soy sauce and tomato paste, stir to combine.
- Add the red wine mixture to the pan and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste.
- Heat your hot dog bun in the pan and add your boerewors and then top it with chakalaka relish.
- Serve and enjoy with your favourite glass of South African red wine.
📸 by foodwithhazel